
This is where Hannah and I spent a few days this week. But let me start at the beginning...
This past week the kids were off of school. Family Day was on Monday and then Teachers Convention was Thursday-Friday. And to be nice (for the kids at least) they also had Tuesday and Wednesday off. So a week. A whole week. With just me and the kids. And ridiculous cold weather. Whomever thinks a weeks break in FEBRUARY in ALBERTA is a good idea is somewhat crazy.
Anyhow, on Tuesday Ethan was feverish and lethargic. Yeah me! He spent the next few days watching TV and playing quietly. Then on Thursday Hannah started in with the fever and lethargy and a new symptom - a sore throat. So I dosed her with Motrin and figured she would soon be on the mend like Ethan. Well on Sunday morning at the crazy early hour of 5:00 am Megan brings Hannah into our room and tells us that Hannah can't breathe. Well we hear her wheezing and struggling so Peter and I decided to take her to the ER, figuring they'd give her a breathing treatment and a prescription for an inhaler to help her breathe until her sore throat was gone.
We took her to the Children's Hospital and were taken back right away. {This was about 5 minutes after she vomited on me in the van - urp} They took Hannah to an exam room and took her vitals and listened to her chest. Within about 5 minutes 4 different doctors examined her. The ER doctor, 2 ENT (Ear Nose Throat) doctors and an ICU (Intensive Care Unit) doctor. She was given a breathing treatment and sent for X rays of her chest and throat. While waiting for the X rays her temperature started to soar. When we got back to her room the doctor came in and told us that they would need to start an IV. Er, what? Peter and I looked at each other and knew that we probably weren't going home in a few minutes with a prescription for an inhaler.
The ENT doctor showed us her X rays and explained what was happening. Her trachea was swelling up and causing her to wheeze. He called it Tracheitis. They weren't sure what was causing it so they wanted to start her on antibiotics to fight any infection and steroids to help her breathing. Through an IV. Hannah does not do well with IV's. We experienced this when she broke her arm. Not fun. Those poor nurses, they deserve a medal!
The ER doctor then told us that she would be admitted to the hospital for 48 hours to receive the steroids and antibiotics. And they were transferring her to the ICU. They explained that in case they needed to put a tube down her throat to help her breathe, that was the safest place to be. Thankfully that never happened.
She responded well to the medicine they gave her and the next night she was transferred to the regular floor, for regular sick kids. Not critical ones. I never want to experience that again. There were some really sick babies across the hall and in the room next to us. I'm awfully glad that Hannah turned out to not be one of those kids.
She was released late Tuesday afternoon and is doing 100% better. She still has a raspy/squeaky voice and the antibiotics make her tummy a little tender, but much better than Sunday at 5:oo am.
And me? Well, I think I need a vacation from my vacation! A week to hibernate would be nice. Hospitals bedsides are NOT the most comfortable place to sleep.
And on a side note I have Mary home today. She has a sore throat and fever. Deja vu...

4 comments:
Is is wrong of me to wish I was in a hospital bed right now??
Sigh.
Glad you're feeling better Hannah. Sorry 'bout your luck Mary. :D
Awh, poor Hannah. I'm glad she is feeling better.
Aren't kids amazingly resilient? It sounds like you all may need a vacation. :) Hope everyone is feeling well again soon.
I'm glad Hannah's feeling better. It always gives you a bit of a shock when they are more poorly than you think. I can also fully understand wanting a holiday-we've just had half term-36 weeks pregs, with 4 crazy kids and snow-not fun!!!
Post a Comment