Back story: My oven sucks. Really sucks. Burns things on the bottom, and keeps them raw and doughy on the top. Not a nice combination. And it's getting worse. To the point I hate baking. Me, who LOVES to bake. Not good times.
Anyway on with the rest of the story. Last night was family home evening. We needed a treat. Megan wanted to bake (read - burn) some cookies. I say no, kids are disappointed because there is no treat. So while they are out swimming with Peter(love you!) I decided to find a no bake recipe. And I found one quick as a wink, AND I actually had all the ingredients! Once they were concocted I had my doubts, they looked kinda iffy, but they were really yummy. And the kids were happy and family home evening was saved! Just kidding, it wasn't really wrecked to begin with, just treatless. Anyway without babbling further on, here is the recipe:
No Bake Rocky Road Bars
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 (10-ounce) package large marshmallows
1/4 cup butter
5 cups cocoa flavored crisp rice cereal {I used regular Rice Krispies}
1 cup mini marshmallows
1 cup milk chocolate chips
Frosting
1/3 cup peanut butter
1 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
Directions:
Grease a 13" x 9" pan, set aside. In large microwave-safe bowl, place 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips. Microwave on 50% power for 1 minute. Remove bowl from microwave and add large marshmallows and butter. Microwave on high for 1 minute, then remove and stir. Continue microwaving for 1 minute intervals, stirring between each interval, until the mixture is melted and smooth.
Stir in the rice krispies until well blended. Then stir in the mini marshmallows and 1 cup milk chocolate chips just until blended. Using greased fingers, spread and press into prepared pan.
In small microwave-safe bowl, combine remaining 1-1/2 cups milk chocolate chips with the peanut butter. Microwave on 50% power for 1 minute; remove and stir until smooth, microwaving for 30 second intervals if necessary. Pour melted chocolate over cereal mixture and spread to cover. Let stand until cool, then cut into bars. Makes 48 bars
I hope you enjoy them as much as I, er, I mean my KIDS do!

3 comments:
Yummy, to bad I don't have any marshmellows. Jeremy is addicted to them, so I never buy them anymore. I made your Chocolate chip recipe today for RS I am incharge of our Budget Night, so I made three batches. They are always a hit here.
mmmmm...any left over???
Nobody or nothing can outwit the treat queen!!
sweet mercy.. .mail me some of that marshmellowy, chocolaty goodness. I'm drooling.
Post a Comment