Monday, September 08, 2008

Our New-To-Us House


OK so when I went to the final walk though for our house I was in for quite a shock. Seeing as this was also the first time to actualy see the house, it was a double whammy. Mom and I met Peter and our realtor who were already there. What I saw when I walked though my new front door was enough to make Aggie and Kim think they hit the Jackpot.



There was garbage EVERYWHERE. And houseplants, about 20 of them. And the garage, well let's just say we hauled away 4 truckloads and we still have a few more things that need to go.

I don't even want to remember how bad it was. I didn't even take pictures because I was so upset. The house itself was OK, but the mess, and dirt and grime and grunge, GACK!!! So once we officially got possession Peter and I went to Wal-Mart and purchased $150.00 worth of cleaning supplies. And we probably used about $120 worth of them. I went though a 50 pack of disposable rubber gloves alone! With the help of my mom and dad we were able to scrape and steam away most of the gunk, and we got the bedrooms painted. Peter and I are working on the downstairs one room at a time.

There is still a lot of construction type jobs that need to be done, like putting up a wall so my laundry room is no longer in my living room! but they'll come in time. Slowly but surely we'll get this place looking and feeling more like a home than just a house.

I'll share a few pictures nothing grand, and don't expect much, I still have stuff in boxes and they're all over right now! But at least those of you who have been wondering where we live, well now you'll get an idea!


Family room. We plan on taking out the built-ins and doing something else super fabulous creative there!



My new kitchen. I lost about 1/2 of my cupboard space compared to the last house, and man, I MISS it. We have big plans for this room. Extending the island and replacing the appliances. By the way, did you know you can still buy ovens that AREN'T self-cleaning? Because you can, I have one, phhttt, stupid oven.



Living room view from hallway upstairs



View down the hallway from the front door. The rooms kind of look like booths at a fair or something from this perspective, hehe.



Megan's half of the bedroom. Note the lovely lavender walls that grandma painted. Also note that Hannah's half is not pictured. See below and imagine Katey's room with a Care Bear theme.



Katey's Pit of Despair. Don't ya just love teenagers?



And finally my retreat. After almost 11 years of marriage I have finally gotten new bedding. (Up till now it's been a mishmash of hand-me-downs. Which I'm very grateful for.) Anyway, Sigh, I LOVE it. I feel like a princess when I lay back on all the fluffy pillows to read. Which happened once. Maybe when Ethan graduates I can do it again;)

So that's about it. I can't wait to update once we start completing some of the larger projects. And I can't wait till we START some of the larger projects!

3 comments:

Holly Rice said...

I really like the house, I bet it will be amazing once you make it your own. Miss you all, hopefully my green card comes in by November so I can come for Paul's sealing and visit you guys.

Anonymous said...

Spoiled!!!! My mom and I say, "trade ya!" I can't believe that you would complain about that house! We think it is beautiful! And not to mention HUGE! I think you had better start counting your blessings miss! haha Sorry I don't mean to be a meany! It looks like your hard work of cleaning paid off because that house really is quite amazing (even if you don't think so)! It could be worse! Have you ever been to my parents house?! haha My mom says she'll take your stove! Ours was made in the 1050's (and that is no joke my friend). Anyways, it looks great!

Cathy :)

Anonymous said...

Your house looks gorgeous. Where in Airdire did you guys move to?