Friday, February 29, 2008

The Lurgy is Here to Stay

Oh, that I had something interesting to share. But I don't. These past few weeks have been pretty lousy. Two weeks ago Hannah had pink eye. It was pretty ugly. So she was home on Tuesday/Wednesday. On Thursday Katey was home with a horrible cold. If you knew how important school was to her [the social aspect anyway] you would be as shocked as I was to find out she was too sick to go to school. On Friday I got a call from the school that Mary had had an upset tummy all morning, could I come get her? [Translation - You are a horrible mother, how could you let your child come to school while she is ill?] Magically the tummy ache got better approximately 3 minutes after we walked through the door. And to finish out my day Hannah also had her first physio appointment for her arm. Got all that...phew!

Then this week another 2 hour wait for Hannah to see Dr. Carey in London. On Monday night Mary was thowing up so - no school on Tuesday. On Wednesday I somehow double booked and both Mary and Hannah had appointments only 15 minutes apart. Whoops! So Peter took Hannah to physio while I took Mary to get her eyes tested. [She passed with flying colors, no problems!] And apparently I chose the right child to take because we were done in 20 minutes, while Peter was nearly an hour and a half with Hannah! And then Thursday and today Ethan has been home with some mystery crud. He's had a fever hovering between 102 and 104 with a cough, runny nose, tummy ache and vomiting. Hmm, seeing it typed out it looks like the flu. See, I'm so worn out it's taken me 2 days to diagnose my poor baby! Anyway he has pretty much spent the last 2 days sleeping.

I have no idea what is happening to my family. We're generally a healthy crew. But for some reason a nasty curse has been unleashed upon us. Let's hope for better health and a chance for me to actually catch my breath in between illnesses. Or better yet hope for an eradication of this lurgy [which by the way is a real word. Check it out here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lurgy .]

Well, here's to better health and happiness in the future...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sucks! Sounds awful... although I had to laugh at the part about the school calling to come get Mary... so many times that happens to me, and they say it to you like you are some awful monster, how could you NOT know that your child was sick??? How DARE you send them to school like that?
And then of course they are fine as soon as you get them home... :)
good luck getting everyone better.

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you are up and blogging again - although it sounds like someone is trying to shut you down one way or another!!!
I know the lurgy is a good word - we used it all the time when I was growing up and when you were growing up too!!! It was something you NEVER wanted to catch!
I remember a little girl's first day at a new school when she said she was too sick to go and I said "Phtt - it's just nerves... imagine how I felt when the school called and said you had thrown up everywhere!!!I think you nominated me for worst mother of the year for years after!
How to get rid of the lurgy: Get a really BIG bottle of medicine and feed it to everyone, regardless of whether they are sick or not - that'll cure it!!
Love ya!